The Mercado Family



Saturday, December 4, 2010

1-2-3

We have had three memorable moments this week; one for each of our kids.

Two years ago I sent in a description of how Victoria played so creatively, along with a picture, to a local newsletter about early childhood. It contains a question/answer section, tips on certain stages in early childhood, ideas for games and songs, resources for games and ideas, and a section about a local child who "loves to play". I sent in her picture and description about two years ago. For a while I thought they just weren't going to use it, then I forgot about it since I wasn't getting the newsletter anymore. All of a sudden, it came in the mail with a free book for her. It was pretty exciting! Now I want to send in one of Karissa, but maybe I'll wait a little... Karissa has been attending a preschool once a week that some friends of mine and I have formed. We each teach from our homes when it is our turn. This week was my turn to teach and my lesson was on Christmas. Of course I had to do the Nativity with them since I have all the costumes (thanks to my mom) and a set I made two years ago for our church Christmas party. Karissa got to be Mary, which worked out well. She is by far the oldest in the group and I knew that would be a hard part for some of the others (all of whom just turned 3), since she has to stand still for a while. Luckily, the other girls wanted to be the angels and kings (they didn't care they were kings as long as they could wear crowns and sparkles!) The boy who is Joseph is the older brother of the girl to the far right. He's already 4 and is not in the actual preschool class, but he was here because his mom was the helper that day. We have 8 kids in the class, not including him, so we need a parent helper each week since the group is so young. We were missing a boy and a girl this day. They all performed well for their moms, it was so cute!
Austin is now 18 months old! He can go to nursery at church without Jason now! He is loving all the lights and Christmas decorations. We've been listening to the soundtrack from The Polar Express and he loves to dance to the Hot Chocolate song. He still loves to dance and play on the piano. He loves things on wheels, especially his train. Lately, he's been carrying around two small dolls, one in each hand. He call them "guys". His other new words are clock, yes, and yay. He is such a good eater! He will eat his whole meal, which is a fair amount, before I get back to the table with his sisters' food. Then, he will either jump off his seat and be off to play, or ask for more. It's so nice to have a child eat so well at this age! His eating hasn't helped him much in the weight department though. At the dr. he was 22lb. and 14 oz, putting him in the 12 percentile for weight. He is 32 in. long, putting him the 41 percentile for height. He still loves to help put things back. He puts the wipes away after I change his diaper, likes to help put his dishes in the sink, put his cup on the counter when he's done with it, and always makes sure I put the cap back on the milk! I've never had such a good helper! This morning, he pulled one of my dirty socks from the hamper to sniff (gross! and yes, he still loves to sniff things). When he was done sniffing, he put it back in the hamper and put the lid back on. Amazing! If it had been Victoria, she would have dropped the sock and thrown everything else out of the hamper, before going off to get into something else, the hamper lid would never have been considered!




No comments:

Post a Comment