The Mercado Family



Sunday, November 21, 2010

PB and J

None of my three kids will even touch a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Karissa used to eat peanut butter and honey, but has recently decided that she doesn't even like that anymore. The one time I accidentally put jelly on it, she had a hissy fit because there was "red stuff" on it. Victoria ate one once, but she wasn't even two yet, so she doesn't remember it. Of course Austin wants nothing to do with them either, but he's still young, so it's fine.

Now, you may think, why do you even care? I don't care that much. It just makes me laugh that yesterday Victoria and Karissa went to a birthday party and both came back with a beautifully shaped, butterfly, PB and J and neither one had a bite out if it! When I asked them if they could just try it, Karissa said, "No way! It has red stuff on it!" Victoria took the tiniest bite and scowled, like it was poisoned. I ate one. It was like a dessert! Of course this one had crunchy peanut butter and strawberry jam and was on white bread, without the crust (a kid's dream!), so no wonder it was like a dessert! I don't think it matters that I buy organic jam and peanut butter, both of which are just as delicious, and serve it on whole wheat, my kids just don't like PB and J! It's a shame, though, since it's like the easiest and cheapest lunch out there!

Austin update:
This week he started saying "Uh-oh" and thank you, which sounds more like "Da dooo", but he says it when I tell him to say "thank you". He's so sweet!

1 comment:

  1. Ella would never touch PB either, and then one day I told her she had to take a bite to get whatever other part of lunch she really wanted to eat. So she ate one bite of PB and had an allergic reaction to it! Now I know to trust my kids' instincts and I don't "force" them to eat food they just don't want to eat.

    ReplyDelete