The Mercado Family



Sunday, September 19, 2010

26.2 Baby!

After months of training I finally got to run the Air Force Marathon! It was such a thrill! I did not do as well as I had hoped, but I will blame that on the fact that I didn't really train the last four weeks, due to some injury. I tried to keep it on the down-low, so as not to worry certain people in my family. I don't know what caused it, or even exactly what it was. At first I thought I pulled a groin muscle, but after not running for two weeks, and it still hurt to run after that, I figured it couldn't have been a pulled muscle. The last two weeks I ran a couple of short runs and it still hurt, but I felt like I wanted to try the marathon to see how I would feel. I took some ibuprofen and felt fairly good most of the run. I could feel my injury the whole time, but it really didn't bother me until mile 20, then after seeing my family at mile 22, my quads were feeling like they were going to burst, so I slowed down quite a bit then. I always heard that the "wall" was more mental, but mentally I felt pretty good. I knew I could make it to the end. My legs were the things that hit the "wall".

My favorite parts were all the rock bands playing at certain points throughout the race, the crowds cheering me on (especially through the small town of Fairborn), seeing my family, and seeing the finish line, and of course crossing it! Even though I would have liked to have come in sooner then 4:12, I'm just glad I could finish it, considering my injury. Thanks to all who supported me on this craze!

Mile 22 Finished!


2 comments:

  1. That's amazing!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Val - I am so impressed!!! And I love all the food shots: Val with a hot dog, Val with pizza, Val with a banana. Oh wait, I guess those are pics of you with FAMILY . . . ha ha ha. Amazing job, my friend. What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete