The Mercado Family



Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Blast From the Past

 We had some plans fall through for last weekend which made it easy for us to make new plans last minute. Our friend, Brad, who is a good frined of mine and especially of Jason's, has been texting us periodically the past few monhs, trying to figure out a good time to get together. The last time he visited was about 4 years ago, but it was for only one night as he had come out to meet a girl in the area. (Spoiler alert: it didn't work out.) His brother used to live here, which made occasional visits easier, but it's been over 10 years since Ryan lived here. So, now, Brad wanted to visit just us, with no other meet-ups. With our busy schedules, and his as an economist in DC, it was tricky to find a time, but when he texted us and we said the weekend was totally free, minus Sunday, he booked a flight on Thursday to come Friday afternoon.

We took a couple hours to catch up on Friday and he got to know our kids again when they came in and out of the living room. Austin excitedly joined us in teaching Brad, Euchre, the Michigan/Ohio strategic partner card game. We had a quick and easy dinner before going to Downtown Plymouth for the Friday night Music in the Park and ice cream at Dairy King. Victoria, Kade and I even convinced Brad to dance with us below the stage with the more mature crowd there (no one was younger than 55). Jason stayed back with Erik, but then joined us at the end. We discovered that night that Brad, being single, stays up til about midnight, to which Jason and I had to take a deep breath. We managed to talk to close to 11 or so before deciding we had to get to bed. 

Selfie taken from just below the stage.

You can see one of the more mature ladies who was dancing behind Kade. 


The next morning, we had to take Erik to where he was to run (Austin went with the top three to run a "special" route designed by Coach. They had an adventure with some biting bugs!) So Brad, Jason, and I went on a walk/hike where Erik ran at, the same place I usually meet my running friends. 

Coach snapped this of the dynamic trio, without the bugs. 


We had a leisurely morning eating breakfast and chatting with our kids who didn't want to go sightseeing with us. So we left around 1 to Detroit, just us three middle-aged buddies. We toured the Ford Piquette Plant, where Jason had only been to once, awhile ago, and I had never been. It was nice and small, so we didn't need all day. It's where the Model T was created in 1908.

I don't remember which car is which, but here's a collection of some. (Don't know why these pics look blurry, they're not that way on my phone. )


The guys liked this one, particularly. 




This old dump truck was my favorite, by far! It even has a nice place to store the shoverls under the bed. And it's blue!

Snow removal vehicle



Brad wanted to check out the Shinola watch showroom, which was started in Detroit about 13 years ago. Then we stopped in this intriguing candy shop called Bon Bon Bon. The candy was so cute and full of so many flavors, which were very tasty. I just discovered they are handmade, started in Detroit in 2014, and use fresh ingredients. Brad treated us each to one. I would have just left after checking it out becuase it looked so fancy and I'm used to having all my kids and not wanting to get roped into something super expensive. Brad insisted. He got the pbj, Jason got the bumpy cake, and I got the strawberry balsamic. It turned out only being 3.50 a piece for a little delicious slice of heaven!

They each came in one of these tiny boxes, perfectly fitted to the chocolate. 

It's not just Bon Bon, but Bon Bon Bon!

Jason's bumpy cake.

I looked it up online and here's what the s'mores looks like inside.


We went to the Riverwalk after that and enjoyed observing all the cultures Detroit has to offer. Then Victoria met us downtown at Slow's, when she was done with mer missionary work, for some very excellent bbq. Like the best baked beans I have ever had! And Victoria and I ordered a tender chicken sandwhich that's rated #3 in America. 

Overlooking Canada, south of Dertroit. 

Detroit city line





The others opted not to come to dinner, either, though I think Austin regretted it later. 


Brad convinced us to go back to Downtown Plmouth for dessert where he and Victoria got a cider mill donut at a cookie shop (they won't be here in the fall to experience it) and Jason and I split a brownie. More talking til way too late and some rounds of the card game 3s, before we couldn't keep our eyes open. Our kids were having the time of their lives without me telling them to get to bed!

3's!


We took Brad to the airport Sunday morning before our busy Sabbath ensued, but after Jason's very early high council meeting. I think, a few days later, I'm finally cathing up on my sleep! It was a blast from the past for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment