The Mercado Family



Monday, May 1, 2023

5th Grade Field Trip

 The 5th graders in our district all get to go on a big 3-day field trip to one of the various outdoor educational adventure locations in the area. Austin missed his, due to it being the pandemic shutdown at the time, but he gets to go on the 8th-grade field trip to DC this week, plus a band field trip to Cleveland in 3 weeks, so I think that makes up for the miss. 

Erik's class hasn't gone on as many field trips as his siblings had, due to recovering from the pandemic times, and unfortunately, they didn't do the 3-day field trip, but at least they got to do an all-day one. I was able to chaperone and participate with him. It was a very long day and I've forgotten how different it is to work with a bunch of 5th graders, good and bad, but I really enjoyed being a part of this adventure with Erik and his classmates, teachers, and even his principal. It's only the second field trip they've had since second grade and one of the last hurrahs before the end of our elementary school years.

After the bus ride there, our group started out at the shelter-building station. They had to build a lean-to, cabin, or a teepee good enough for them to get in without it falling. They started with a teepee but decided a cabin would work best. They had a great time working together, even if there were snow flurries falling from the sky and some of us parents were pretty cold!








Erik, inside it after we covered it. 

Exploring the area!


We got to have lunch next. Erik and his buddies chose to eat outside, of course, but after I snapped a pic of them, I ate inside and watched them from the window so I could warm up! That's one of the perks of being with 5th graders. I couldn't have left my preschoolers outside without me there!

The sun came out for lunch, but it was still cold!!



We got to brave the cold some more while the group shot at the archery station. Erik kept shooting high but had pretty good form. I used to teach archery at "Wheel Chair" camp when I was a teen, but I must have forgotten everything I knew because I was awful this time!





The adults' turn to try!



The next station in the reptile house was a nice reprieve from the cold. The temperature was between 80 and 90 degrees and most everyone stripped off their coats, hats, and gloves, except for me. I kept all my stuff on for that hour so I could soak in the warmth! I felt like maybe I was cold-blooded too!



Aquatic turtle

Box turtle

Salamander

Albino Corn snake, just like Kai's.

Boa Constrictor


We were back outside after that, but it was at the fire-building station, so at least we had some heat nearby. They had to collect all the supplies to make a fire and then use flint and steel to start it. We got some small fires going, but it wasn't great. We were still allowed to roast marshmallows at the group fire at the end, so the kids were happy. 

I missed the pic of their little fire. I was trying to help them keep it going!



My friend took this of us eating our snack without me knowing, so I look pretty boring here!


Our last class was the mammal class. They learned about camouflage and the characteristics of some of the mammals whose fur and skulls were on display. They played a really fun camouflage tag game afterward and then we went to the petting farm to interact with all the furry animals there.

I got to help showcase the fur and was told to put it on my back like a cape!

Passing around another fur for them to touch.


The kids were kinda loud, so this llama wanted nothing to do with them!

Erik put his hat on this goat and I missed the good shot!

Feeding the horse.

Lazy pigs!


Dinner was in the cafeteria and was provided by the camp. This part was Erik's worry about the trip. Sure enough, the food wasn't anything he wanted to eat. It was fried chicken, seasoned fries (as opposed to fast food french fries), and corn. Plus, there was a little salad bar that made me very happy with the quinoa salad and fresh broccoli, cucumbers, and other good salad toppers. There was a pile of fresh fruit by the salad bar and a milk station that I thought Erik would enjoy. While he did grab an apple and tried the milk, he ended up just eating some of his leftover snacks from lunch. It was good for him to see how he could possibly manage when he's a little older and has to eat dinner away from home and without his family near. He'll be able to do it, even if he doesn't have extra snacks to eat. If he was hungry enough, he would have at least eaten the apple and had more milk. 

After a group photo and a little free play on the grass, it was time for the hour drive back. Since I drove there, Erik was able to come back with me, rather than going back on the bus. It allowed us to not have to go pick him up from the school, probably 15 minutes after I arrived home, since that's how far behind the bus was from me on the way there. I was glad we could get home and get warmed up! I really enjoyed spending this time with Erik and loved how happy he was to have me there.

The 3 fifth grade classes! Erik has one teacher, Austin had a different one, and Victoria had the other one! (Kai was at Gallimore for 5th grade).



2 comments: