The Mercado Family



Monday, March 22, 2021

The Blender

 We had a nice Vitamix blender. Jason found it for a good deal a few years ago, otherwise we wouldn't have bought one. They're pretty expensive and I don't like to spend that much money on something like that. Though, as I said, we got ours for a good deal. I was excited for my expensive, fancy blender. 

One day, my blender stopped working. Why would a nice expensive blender stop working after only a couple of years? I've had others last a lot longer than that! 

Luckily, I had saved our old one (a KitchenAid) as an extra one. Sometimes I would actually use both blenders if I was making hummus and a smoothie, or a soup and a smoothie. 

I pulled out the old blender to blend up some figs and almonds for some energy bars. Yes, figs are sticky and hard to blend. The Vitamix did it very well. The old blender, not as well (but it's still working, btw, so the figs didn't break it). 

When I was struggling to help the old blender with the process, I had to put my hand in so couple of times to help unstick the figs. One time, the last time, I turned off the blender, stuck my hand in, and after about 10 seconds it started to blend again! Maybe the sticky figs started to make it not respond properly and that's why it started to blend my middle finger, I don't know, but it hurt like crazy! 

I always have had this vision in my head when I put carrots in the blender that they're very much like fingers and there I was, with a blended finger!

The miracle about it is that the blender was so old and dull that it didn't cut my finger very deeply, it just bruised it. More like it got hit super hard by a small piece of metal, rather than sliced and shredded by a blade. Also, something I didn't realize at the time, was that it hit right where my nail bed was. Although I was bleeding and had a pretty bad cut (I didn't get stitches, nor did I even go to the hospital), my skin healed very well. What was scarred was my nail.

I didn't take any pictures at the time, but as I was realizing the blessing in all this and watching my damaged nail grow out, I started to observe it and took a couple of pictures to show the progress.

This happened a week or two before Thanksgiving.


This was in February.

This was last week.

We have another nice blender (a Homgeek) now that Jason found for another good deal. I like it even better than the Vitamix. But I have to say that I do have a slight fear of blenders now. I have to always unplug it before opening the lid, or at least double check that it is off, before lifting the lid ( I had a couple problems with explosions from the blender with the lid off as well). I did make those bars again and they blended nicely in my new blender, but I don't make them as often as I was. I just don't always feel like it. 😊

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! That's crazy and scary!!! Our Vitamix was given to us as a gift and it stopped working after just a couple of months (making hummus killed the motor - ridiculous). My brother, who gifted it to us, got it from Costco. Costco has a great return policy, so we took the blender back expecting to swap it for another Vitamix. Well, by then they were out of Vitamixes, so we got a Blendtec, and I love it so much more than the Vitamix! I'm glad our Vitamix burned out on us. I hope your Homgeek lives long and performs well for you. I've never heard of that brand before, so it's good to know you like it in case I'm ever in the market for a new blender. 😊

    ReplyDelete