The Mercado Family



Wednesday, January 22, 2020

MLK Day

I don't usually have a special post for MLK day (which last year, Erik called it "milk" day, haha!), but it was a more meaningful day this year, for a couple of reasons.

First, Saturday was a flop for most of us because we got a big snowstorm at the worst time. If it were a school day, school would have been canceled and that would have made everyone's day. Since it was Saturday, it only meant that dance was canceled and all other classes at the Summit, which affected the Zumba class I was planning on going to. It never occurred to me that they would actually cancel those other activities. Once we got out later on, though, I realized how bad it was and was glad I didn't try anything stupid. So, I worked out at home, which was fine, and Victoria got to relax, which was fine, except for she gets a lot of pent-up energy when she doesn't go to dance, which is not always fine. At least for her, she ended up hanging out with a friend later on. The others, however, waited to hear from their play date friends that we had set up, and they all fell through! We had some let-down kids! Even the snow couldn't cheer them up because it rained part of the day on the 6-8 inches of snow we got and it was a wet mess. With Austin's cast that can't get wet, and the fact that he forgot his snow bag with all his snow gear in it at the school for the long weekend (ugh!), he had no desire to go outside. With all these let-downs, I told them that on Monday, we would do something fun as a family!

As I researched things and realized that most of the things I was thinking weren't going to work because it wouldn't be a Saturday (when we could ice skate, for instance), I knew that it would have to be something simple. So I told them we would go sledding all together and then go out to lunch. The snow was going to be solid by then and I was able to find Austin's old snow gear (and buy a "new" pair of used boots for him). I had some Panera Bread gift cards and Austin had a coupon there for a free lunch from his teacher. Since these activities wouldn't take long, we could even support my friend's little children's choir for the Martin Luther King celebration at the library. I took the kids to the practice Sunday night and they were ready to go.

Sledding turned out to be even more fun than we thought, especially because Jason was there with us as he rarely gets to go with us. Also, it was super icy from the rain that had frozen over the snow, so it was very slippery and fast! We all had such a great time together. Victoria brought a friend and everyone had fun with her as well.

The second reason it was so meaningful, was the Children's Peace Choir at the library that Austin and Erik sang in. If I had told them they were going to do it without their sisters, they never would have in a million years, especially Erik. I kind of tricked them all into it on Sunday when I convinced them to go to the practice to support my friend. When Victoria and Karissa realized they were the oldest two, I secretly told them they didn't have to perform in it, but not to tell the boys, or they wouldn't do it either. When Austin and Erik sang at the library with the group, it was so sweet. I was so glad they could participate and that we could remember why we celebrate this holiday.

Creating memories, that's what it's all about!

Karissa

We wrapped Austin's fingers from the cast in some old wool socks. It seemed to work well for him. His tube was my favorite way of going down the hill- so comfy!

Victoria and Emma

I think my glove is in most of these pics, but I couldn't tell because it was so bright and blinding out there! Jason went down many times, but I think he bruised his ribs when he went down on his stomach, not on the comfy tube.

Erik is giving the thumbs up here because he had just made some crazy air off a jump. I didn't see it, but Jason says he was pretty high. I think it jostled him a bit, but he's been fine.

I was trying to get a selfie of Jason and I here, but obviously, I couldn't see and didn't have it on selfie mode!


Here's the songs they sang. We looked a little scruffy, after having just come back from sledding with our hat hair and big boots, but oh well! (Don't know why the other video is sideways...)




No comments:

Post a Comment