The Mercado Family



Thursday, December 12, 2019

Erik's Baptism

We're so proud of Erik, like really proud and impressed! A couple of years ago he said a few times that he didn't want to get baptized. I didn't make a big deal about it, but I knew it was mostly because he doesn't like a lot of positive attention directed at him, which is weird, I know, but he just doesn't. He likes doing what's right, but no big exclamations of "nice job" or "way to go Erik!" Him standing in a font with a bunch of people smiling at him, eyes full of love and joy, isn't what he prefers.

Over the summer, when his friend Noah was baptized, he said,"When I get baptized..." I don't actually remember what he said, but I did focus on the fact that he wanted to be baptized.

When he came downstairs in his suit before going to the church, he gave me a look with his eyes and body language that said, don't. say. anything. I had already warned everyone else not to comment on his nice suit or appearance, so it went over pretty well. I had also informed him that we were going to take a lot of pictures of him, people were going to congratulate him, and he was going to have to smile and thank those who came up to him.

Victoria and my mom gave the talks and he was very attentive to them and reverent. Karissa and Grandpa Jim gave the prayers and Grandpa Jim and Austin were the witnesses. It was so cool having Austin as a witness and he took his responsibility very seriously. He also folded the programs and cut the brownies that we served with milk for the refreshment.

Erik gave handshakes and hugs to the men in the circle when he received the gift of the Holy Ghost. He also stood reverently in church the next day when we recognized him as the newest member of the church. All these things are milestones for him!!

One more milestone I need to mention. I realized that I forgot to mention his food progress in his birthday post and the Thanksgiving one. A few months ago, he decided he didn't want to drink warm white milk anymore and that I could recycle his special cups. He has only had milk here and there since then. This is the first time in his life he hasn't relied only on milk for nutrition. I mentioned that he ate 10 chicken nuggets on his birthday, I believe, but I neglected to say that this was the first Thanksgiving that he sat at the table with us and ate food from the meal. Ok, it was only about 10 rolls with butter, plus some apple slices, but it's progress!!!



Our neighbor Ms. Barb came, plus a lot of other dear friends from our Ward and the other Ward in our area.





1 comment:

  1. Oh man, way to go Erik!!! (I also hate to be the center of attention, which is really hard in my calling!) I'm so proud of him, too! And since he's not likely to read these comments, I hope it's okay to say how handsome and grown up he looks in his suit. Your family picture I just absolutely fantastic! What a happy day.

    ReplyDelete