The Mercado Family



Sunday, October 20, 2019

Tough Stuff

Erik is a tough boy, if you didn't know that already! A couple of weeks ago, while I was dropping off and picking up from piano and dance on that particular Tuesday, he noticed Luke (the cat) had gotten outside, somehow. He ran out, chased him, and grabbed him. On the way in, Luke got mad and bit and scratched Erik on the forehead, but Erik continued to hold him and bring him inside while Luke struggled to get free. Once in, he was bleeding a lot, enough that Victoria called me and told me what had happened and that there was a lot of blood (head wounds...). I was home in a few minutes to drop Karissa off and pick Victoria up to take her to dance. I didn't even go inside. Karissa cared for the wound and cleaned it and put a band aid on for him. That was that. By the time I got home from dropping off Victoria at dance and picking up Austin from piano, it was pretty much forgotten. He just had a regular band aid on his forehead and everything looked normal.

Two days later, his eye right below where he had been attacked started to look a little swollen and red. (Let me just say how glad I am that Erik wasn't scratched in the eye to begin with!) When it was the same the following day, Jason and I decided we should take him to the doctor. I sent a picture to my sister, who's a nurse, to confirm. That night we noticed puss coming out. At the doctor the next day, they said said he could have Cat Scratch disease, which I had never heard of! They prescribed him antibiotics, even though the culture wasn't back yet, though we weren't sure the culture would come back positive because all the puss was pretty dry after Jason cleaned it out very well the night before.
Taken right before I called my sister.

Taken right before the doctor came in. His cheek was starting to look swollen and you can see some of the dried puss.

Who would have though our cat could do this! Luke even went to the vet that week for his yearly and I knew he didn't have any diseases himself.

Sure enough, the antibiotics, cleared him up. When the doctor called, they couldn't confirm it was Cat Scratch Disease, but to keep taking the antibiotics.

In the meantime, Erik kept picking up Luke when he was naughty, and tossing him aside. He never complained once! He's one tough boy!


1 comment:

  1. I would love for Brynna to take a page out of Erik's book. She's turning into a little hypochondriac, and it's making me crazy!!

    ReplyDelete