The Mercado Family



Monday, June 24, 2019

Escape Room Party

Even though Austin's birthday is at the beginning of the summer it seems his parties are always rained out. I think that's because I always plan them outside and then the weather doesn't cooperate! This year I took the advice of a friend and planned an escape room birthday party. They have actual escape room locations, or you can buy one online and print it up at home. That is what we did. We did one called The Mummy and they had to escape the tomb where the mummy was by using some old diaries from an explorer. I was hesitant at first because I wasn't sure if these 9 and 10 year old boys would want to do these riddles, puzzles, and math problems for this game. They actually loved it and it went really well! They were divided into two teams and really got into it. I'm glad they did. Individually, these boys like this kind of stuff, but as a group, I thought they would get too goofy, but give them a team and a challenge, they're all for it!
We had the lights in the basement really low, so it would be more like a tomb.

They had to cut out letters to find the code using the Rosetta Stone.

Treasures for the winning group. Chocolate coins, butterscotch candy, "gold" pieces, and tomb toys.  The other team got the prize too, just second chance grabbing a handful. (This was taken after they had grabbed their loot, so I had to bunch it together for the picture!)

The treasure box

It turns out the weather was perfect, so I extended the party by an hour because I knew they would want to play outside. Sure enough, before they even came inside for the party, they were playing with our new bball hoop.
Bball game


Trampoline time

Capture the flag

After the escape room, they played on the trampoline, some capture the flag, and we even had a water balloon fight.

I hired some girls in my ward who make cakes ( they're 11 and 9, almost), to make a fun cake, just for something different. Austin wanted a cake from the game Dead Ninja Warrior 😂. So, they made a cake from the picture we sent them. Luckily, the ninja doesn't look dead. I remembered, though, that fondant isn't my kids' favorite, so we have a lot left, but it was fun to hire our friends.




Chips, soda, grapes, and strawberries (that we picked a couple days before) we're great additions for these active boys. One thing I noticed about the gifts that he received was that he got two $15 gift cards for ice cream. One for Dairy Queen and one for Cold Stone. Is that a boy thing to give food gift cards? Also, he got one for Emagine theaters. So fun! I really like these gift card ideas for places to go and enjoy. Now I get to go get ice cream with him a bunch of times until he uses up his $ for himself, unless he decides to share with me 😉.

It was another successful party for my boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment