The Mercado Family



Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Good Times at Miller Elementary

I volunteered to be the STRIDE running coach for the 3-5th grade boys at Miller this year. Austin is on the team and it's so fun doing this with him. STRIDE is the Girls on the Run version for boys through the YMCA (Karissa did GOTR a couple of years ago). Not all schools sponsor the group(s). This is actually Miller's first year doing STRIDE. I had to go to the nearest YMCA 40 minutes away to be trained, have a background check completed, and get the supplies. We meet twice a week after school for an hour and 15 minutes. I have a lesson written out for me from the Y for each practice because it's not just a running group, it also teaches about good character and good values. STRIDE stands for Success, Teamwork, Respect, Inspiration, Determination, and Excellence. We play games related to the lesson topic and games to make the run work-out more enjoyable, using the values listed above. I was provided with some money cards to buy snacks for the boys to eat before each practice. I even have a "coach" shirt- so fun! We're working up to a 5k, which Austin and I won't be able to attend, but it's a blast working with the boys in preparation for it. They really are good kids! I have some parents who are assistants to these 15 boys I work with. Also, one day Karissa is an assistant while Victoria walks home with Erik, and the other day Victoria assists. They're earning their keep! Sometimes Erik will stay if one of my girls can't assist and he can hold his own with those boys in the run!

STRIDE game


Last night was Erik's 1st grade music concert. Surprise of all surprises, all of his siblings could go! Victoria videotaped it and we all enjoyed the musical debut of these kids. I volunteer in Erik's class on Mondays for math and it was great to watch them up on stage. You'll notice Erik telling us that he's watching us in the first song and telling a friend that his sister is recording in the second. There were three more songs that I'm not including. Such a great evening!






















1 comment:

  1. So adorable!! I've never heard of STRIDE or GOTR - they sound fantastic! That's awesome that you get to coach the boys. We need a pic of you in your coach's shirt!

    ReplyDelete