The Mercado Family



Sunday, June 3, 2018

Birthday Number 9

Austin turned 9 yesterday. I can't wrap my head around it. My kids are growing too fast! I was privileged this past week to be able to volunteer at his field day and then go on a field trip with his class to the Jiffy Factory. I liked seeing him with his class mates. I haven't been able to volunteer in his class this year, but his teacher has told me a few times this year what a good student he is. She has said she has a hard class but that Austin isn't one of them. (That makes me happy.) At field day, I noticed how right she was! The boys are all the "tough boy" / "Joe cool" type kids. The girls seemed okay, though. Austin is very friendly and has a "cool" personality. I could see that he didn't feel intimidated by his class mates, nor did he show any need to show off in an inappropriate way to feel like he belonged.

For the field trip, we got to see where they produce the Jiffy mixes for the entire US. During the busy season, they put out 150  million boxes of Jiffy mix per day! That season runs from September - January. We got some sample boxes and I bought some at a very reduced price. Austin was excited to make cinnamon rolls with me later that day with some of the mixes.
My group for the tour. We got Austin's good friend Krish in our group.

Our fancy hair nets for the tour.

The whole class at the park after lunch. Austin and I are in blue in the back left.

I didn't get to see the outside of the main factory until I was driving away. I snapped this from the red light!

Austin and Dallin have been taking a tennis class together at Miller on Tuesdays.
 On his birthday, we went to the Home Depot project. It was outside for a change and it was a cold morning, so we brought it home and made it in our basement! Austin loves making those projects each month. Erik joins us sometimes. Austin also loves building Lego sets. He loves to tell jokes, dance and sing, play ball sports, play Mine craft and Wii, and read. He stays up very late each night reading. He finished the entire Harry Potter series earlier this year. He completed his Wolf Rank for scouts and will now be a Bear. He has done well with the piano this year and will continue next year. The piano recital, along with football practice/game was on his birthday too. It was a busy day!

Austin's breakfast of choice every day now, even on his birthday. (sigh)
Building his car for the Home Depot project.
I didn't get any shots of Austin playing yesterday because I was involved in watching it, but I did get some of Erik. He made a good run here in these pics.


Austin received a medal for piano excellence.

Victoria received a medal as well.

Karissa received a trophy for piano Federation. 

Present time!

He loves to wear socks, even when it's way too warm!


He loves the group Imagine Dragons. He recently adopted my old CD walk man, so I thought a CD would still work for him.

One of his favorite book series is Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

Legos!
 After the recital, we went to Wendy's for dinner, per his request. We were going to convince him to do something nicer, but then thought, oh well! Whatever makes him happy!

Austin is such a great kid and we're proud to call him our son!
I had forgotten where I put the batteries, the only gift he actually asked for. We found them right before bedtime!

Happy birthday to our fun-loving son!

Here's their piano rectial songs. Also, bonus feature: Erik singing in the kindergarten music program! Since he never sings for the church programs, I was surprised at how into he was!


1 comment:

  1. Good job on all the performances, and happy birthday to Austin!!!

    ReplyDelete