The Mercado Family



Monday, October 3, 2016

4 Weeks In!

We've had four weeks of school now and we are going with the flow like it's been this way forever. There were so many changes this year that I wasn't really sure how we were going to survive. Victoria still loves middles school and has earned two ribbons for passing off Hot Cross Buns and Mary Had a Little Lamb on the violin in orchestra. I would still like her to go to bed earlier, but she's managing to wake up every day for orchestra. Karissa is keeping up with her schoolwork and cheer practice really well, not to mention her piano practice and lessons which are always in the morning before school. She's been more proactive in taking care of herself and her things. Growing up!

Austin, though he had the least amount of change, except for getting to school a little earlier and going without Victoria, had some hard times adjusting. He was really upset one day, carrying on about many things, so, when the next day he came home saying his wrist hurt, but had absolutely no signs of swelling, bruises, or redness, I thought he was just looking for more attention. I gave it to him. We iced it, wrapped it up for school the next day. He started to seem happier and only complained a couple more times when he banged his wrist over the next two days. He went to piano, played soccer outside, did his homework (it's his right wrist), and seemed pretty good. Four days later, I noticed his wrist looked slightly swollen, so we went and bought a brace. 6 days later, I took him to the doctor. I learn everything with Austin. I learned he has a buckle fracture. A buckle fracture has no outward signs of injury and they heal fairly quickly. He got a cast 8 days after the injury and has to wear it 3 weeks. He's adjusting so well to it, it seems to hardly phase him! He can't use his thumbs for piano, but other than that he's still going strong!

Erik has grown the most over these past 4 weeks. He's much more level when he's around others and even let's people who know and love him, like his old babysitter, give him hugs. He's very excited to tell everyone he goes to preschool at Red Bell. He's been eating the triangle cut-outs of tortilla at school with his milk, something his class gives the kids who don't want to eat any of the lunch. He never ate a tortilla with me before, so that's progress! When they eat yogurt, he eats that too.

As for me, I hope that I am having an impact on my students. I absolutely love my job! I would never have thought I would have enjoyed teaching preschool, but I really do! I love the read-alouds, the songs, the activities, and ease of planning for such a young age. I love their smiles and hugs and love that they are learning the words to the songs, how to line up, and how to sit for circle time. For the past few years I had been thinking of going a different route for my career when my kids got a little older, like a personal trainer or strength training instructor, but when I thought about it, I would get a little anxious. I think it's because in that field I have to work with adults. I love working with kids! No judgments, no criticism; just love and fun! Erik tells me when I say I'm going to work that "it's not work, it's fun!" I have to agree with him!


Getting it wrapped

Orange! I can find him anywhere!
Every day we leave he wants me to take a picture of him on the bridge.

2 comments:

  1. Erik's smile says it all - he's a happy dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to read about the progress the children are making, both Victoria and Karissa in extra activities and the boys with their school advances and mostly Valerie with the job-love

    ReplyDelete