The Mercado Family



Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Chef Party

Karissa has been loving to help bake and cook lately. That, with her love of all things crafty, helped us come up with this year's party theme: chef party. We started with a get-to-know-you game. Karissa has a taco made of tissue paper that Victoria made for her. Whoever held the taco got to talk. They each shared their name, what school they go to, and something unique about themselves. This was important since Karissa had two friends from Gallimore (one of them went to Miller with her), one friend from Miller (which is where Austin and Victoria go), and two friends (twins) who moved from Miller with their mom, but their dad still lives in the neighborhood. They all were great and had fun together.

Then, we played a round of Headbands, food style. Each kid got a food card on their headband. They had to guess what food they had by asking everyone yes or no questions. Next, they each decorated an apron for themselves. When the aprons were finished, Karissa opened her presents. Her BFF, Olivia, had wanted her to open the presents before we got to the food prep. She had given Karissa some American Girl doll cooking supplies and wanted her doll to participate with us. It was great to have the present opening out of the way, but we didn't have her doll participate.


decorating aprons

Trying to so off their aprons.


 After the presents, we were ready to decorate pizzas! I have to say it was easier and more fun than I had thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, I make pizza with my kids all the time, but I have never done it at a party before. I always have a fear of too much mess and no one eating much of their own pizzas and having to throw it all out. Well, it was not! We had all the toppings organized on the table, they did well with the dough, everyone had an apron on, and everyone pretty much finished more than I expected! I sent home two that had a lot left still, but the rest ate right to the crust! Jason was able to make one for the two of us to share and help clean up as the pizzas baked and I worked with the girls (and Austin) on the next activity: gumball necklaces. I had poked many holes with a metal skewer in these gumballs. It was tricky for me to get the ribbon in, but it ended up not being too bad. For the girls, not so much, so I finally opted for the easy-way-out and got out my lanyards. Nice and stiff, but not quite as cute. No one cared, though. They just wanted to finish them so they could eat their pizza!
Making gumball necklaces.

Birthday girl necklace and apron.
Enjoying their personal pizzas.

Crazy kiddos.
Last, but not least, they decorated their own cupcakes with lots of frosting and sprinkles and we sang Happy Birthday. They had just enough time to look at a few of the gifts together and be a little crazy.


Real serious about how much sugar they put in their cupcakes!

Big sis was a real ham at the party, but everyone was entertained by it.

9 candles on a cupcake it hard to do!
It was a very smooth running party, contrary to what I thought it might be. Plus, I didn't have to decorate the cupcakes myself, nor the pizzas. I didn't even have to provide other food items, the pizza was just enough, with a drink , of course.

We had planned out ahead of time to watch Inside Out for our family movie night after the party was over. It was a great movie and a perfect end for the party for our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment