The Mercado Family



Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Busy, Busy!

Our busy weekend started on Friday with Victoria’s first “real” babysitting job. It was at our house still, but she was in charge of 9 month old Kristen and got paid for the job. I did help a couple of times and went to book club toward the end of it, but it was about a 3 hour job, so she definitely did some good work!

Saturday, it was the usual ice hockey and dance, but I was in Dearborn for a clothing drive at one of our church buildings. Jason worked at it on Friday at the end of his work day. The building is across the street from his office.  Luckily, our friends were able to drive Victoria and Austin so Jason could get some projects done and Karissa was in charge of Erik.


When I returned, we had to get ready to get our family pictures taken. My friend did them two years ago and I loved them, so I wanted her to do them again. Of course it turned out to be a very busy day, but the kids had fun outside where we were shooting the pics. Too bad Erik did not want to cooperate, at all! I worried about him being a goofball, but I didn't think he would just shut her down! He did end up warming up to her (his friend's mom who he knows), but it was a lot of work!

After the photo shoot, Jason snuck in part of the Nebraska game. We ate a quick dinner and got ready for the Ward Trunk or Treat. My kids had planned, back in August, to go as the Scooby-Doo gang. Victoria wanted to be the villain, holding to the tradition she has of being some creepy character. She ended up being an old man. It worked out well. She wanted to hang with her friends the whole activity anyhow, so the rest of the "gang" stuck together. Karissa kept making sure we all did, too!

Our neighbor Bethany, Tessa, and Victoria




If that wasn't enough pressure to look good and act good for pictures, then dress up for the Halloween party, the Primary Program for Sacrament meeting was at church on Sunday. We didn't get to church early enough to make sure we sat on the side where we could see all our kids. In fact, we couldn't see Erik, for his first Primary program, at all! He was totally blocked by the organ. After sitting through the program, though, I realized it was probably a good thing. If we had sat on a different side, he would have been more anxious or worried or whatever it is that gets to him in public situations. Also, if he could see us smiling up at him the whole time, he would not have stayed on the stand, or worse yet, he would have made a scene. I don't know if he sang, but everyone I asked who could see him said he behaved well. When it came time for his to give class to say their parts, he walked up to the podium with them, looked at Jason and I, then dropped to the ground. We didn't see him, but I could see Austin smile and roll his eyes at whatever Erik did on the ground. I guess he got back to his seat all right. Victoria, Karissa, and Austin did well and have always enjoyed using the microphone. They sang the songs beautifully too. 
They got glow sticks for doing well in the program. 













If that wasn't enough, Austin was assigned to give the scripture and prayer in Primary sharing time and Erik the talk. When asked if it would be more difficult for Erik on this day, I really didn't think it would make a difference. I figured if he actually said his line for the program in Sacrament meeting, then he would just think it was microphone day and do the same in Primary. I wrote a quick, nice talk about temples with a picture of our family outside the Indianapolis Temple. He had told me he didn't want to go up and that he wanted Jason to do it for him. Well, that's what happened. He didn't even want to hold the picture. Jason gave a nice talk in Primary! Austin did well with the scripture and prayer. I'm glad he can read so we didn't have to practice a ton. 

To finish off, the missionaries came over for dinner and Jason had a meeting Sunday night to attend. No wonder I was so tired on Monday! 

2 comments:

  1. just reading about all that you did last weekend made me tired and I had already heard most of it, You are an amazing mom, friend and daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Congrats on surviving all that! What a wild weekend! Great costumes!!!

    ReplyDelete