The Mercado Family



Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Erik, the 3-Year-Old

Erik turned 3 on Sunday. Let me tell you about Erik. Of all of my stubborn children, he's the most stubborn of all. I like to call him Mr. Contrary. If I say "yes", he says "no", if I say "high", he says "low". He likes to argue. (It reminds me of someone in my family with the initials D.J.L.A.) When the weather started to turn cooler, he refused to wear anything but shorts and sandals, with T-shirts, of course. I have finally gotten him to wear sweats and long-sleeved shirts, but hardly ever socks with his crocks, definitely no coat (sometimes a hoodie when it's in the 20s or teens), and usually no hat. I got him a new Lightning McQueen shirt for his birthday, but he won't wear it. He insists on wearing the one with the holes in it. He also doesn't like his hair combed. (This reminds me of someone in my family with the initials D.O.A.)
At a playgroup at the Summit. He's wearing exactly what he wore outside in the 20 degree weather.
Helping Victoria empty the dishwasher, with a smile!

Austin gave him his old car.






He is so sweet, though. I also call him my Koala boy. He loves to give me, or Jason, a big hug with his legs and arms wrapped tightly around waist and neck. If he can, he likes to hug both of us at the same time for a "group hug". When he sees Austin after school, he runs up to give him a big hug. We went to see Christmas lights tonight and he kept saying, "See that _____ Austin?" "Look at that _____Austin!" He'll give good hugs to his sisters too.

He loves to play board games, do puzzles, read books, watch Wild Kratts, and watch Austin play on Starfall.com. He also loves to play outside on his Lightning McQueen big wheel and the swings, though there's not much of that right now with our weather. He loves to tackle and is pretty tough. If he gets hurt, he just need a moment to shake it off, then he's fine. No coddling for him! He loves hide-and-seek and baths. If he's bored, sometimes he'll just take a bath, which works well because it's sometimes the only way I can get him to change his clothes.

Before he turned 3 when we asked how old he was, he would say, "1 and 10". My other kids would reply, "You're 110?", "No, just 1 and 10!" Since Sunday, he hasn't really said how old he is yet, he's still processing it. Speaking of Sunday, he had a good day on his birthday. He had been really grumpy the week leading up. Sunday morning he slept in and was super happy that day, which was great for his birthday, except he kept saying it wasn't his birthday, but Karissa's. He did let us sing to him, 3 times because I couldn't get my camera ready in time. He enjoyed the frosting on his cupcake and the special vanilla ice cream Jason got for him. Gramms and Abuelo are here and they gave him his own Mickey Mouse since he kept taking the other kids' Mickeys. On Monday, he decided he wanted to have Victoria's and gave his to her. Our neighbors brought him a gift, but he threw it on the ground. I don't think he likes new things.
Helping make his birthday frosting with his "hot chocolate".

It's fun having Gramms and Abuelo here!
At his well-child exam he gave the dr. a run for her money. He wouldn't stand on the scale and screamed and wriggled throughout the entire exam. Luckily, we did find out that he is somewhat healthy and we got his weight with me holding him. I'm sure his height isn't accurate, but are they ever? 48% for weight, 37 % for height. When I asked the doctor what I should do about his eating habits (he doesn't eat), she said, "Play the mom card." No more than two cups of milk a day, otherwise he could become anemic and need a blood transfusion. It's funny, on Sunday, he didn't ask for as much "hot chocolate" (his warm milk) as normal. Monday, before going to the dr. he had had only one sippy. So far, playing the "mom card" hasn't been as hard as I thought. I think he is ready for it now. Believe me, I have started to be more strict in saying no to his milk, but given in to the screaming and tantrums. Maybe it's because Gramms and Abuelo are here for moral support, maybe it's because I realized how important this really is after talking to the dr., or maybe Erik is just getting older. Today, he had two pancakes for breakfast! He has never had that many! When I've said no to his "hot chocolate" he only puts up a small fight. I think the future is looking good!

I love my Erik! Despite is idiosyncrasies, he's a great kid, a good helper, and so fun to be with!!

2 comments:

  1. He sounds like the kind of kid I could really get along with. I'm a sucker for the headstrong kids. (Good thing, too, given my brood!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Erik even before I saw him for the first time in the Geneva Switzerland Airport while we were on our Mission,, He is All that and more!

    ReplyDelete