The Mercado Family



Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sharing and Shyness (or lack thereof)

Sharing

The other day I took Austin and Karissa to story time at the library and then we stayed for ABC Activity Time, which is just a time for young children and babies to play with educational toys and puzzles. During the ABC time a baby about 13-14 months old crawled over to play with Karissa and Austin. His mom started telling me how he needs more time with other kids so he could learn to share, since he is the first. Sure enough, he went to grab a ball that Austin was holding, but Austin, already used to having things taken from him, held on real tight, and with a loud grunt, pulled the ball back. Then, he picked up another toy and gave it to the other boy. Later, the two boys joined up again and the same exact thing happened! I've always admired other parents' third or fourth child who is good at sharing just because of their placement in the family. Now I've got one too!

Shyness (or lack thereof)

Later that day while we waited for Victoria to get out of school, Karissa was running around with some other little chicas her age. One of them was with her grandpa and ran back to him for a moment before continuing to play with the others. Karissa, not even hesitating once or even looking to see what he looked like, ran right up to the grandpa too, hugging his leg like he was her own grandpa. She clung to his leg for about a minute, while the man looked at me laughing. He happened to have a huge white beard, so he asked her if he looked like Santa. She just glanced up at him to see if he did, then went back to playing with the others. My mom says I always liked sitting with the older men at church when I was younger, so I guess she gets her likeness for old grandpas from me, but she also goes up to any kid at the park and plays with them, so I don't think she has a shy bone in her body!

4 comments:

  1. I put a huge hole in your 3rd or 4th child sharing theory...I still stink at it. I think it's because an older sister threw my hat out the window onto a busy street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I love the "Santa" story! I used to love older men when I was a toddler too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im not talking about screwed up families like ours, just talking about those "other" families... And would you believe me if I said I didn't mean for it to go out the window? Jason laughed b/c my aim is so bad that when I aimed for below the window it actually went out! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet little sharer! Impressive! :)

    ReplyDelete