The Mercado Family



Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Ear Irk

Victoria woke up last night saying her ear hurt, so I told her I would take her to the doctor today. We went this morning and when asked which ear bothered her, she pointed to her left ear. The doctor checked it and said she couldn't see in it with all the wax build-up. So she looked in the right ear and saw it was infected. She then said they were going to clean out the ear so they could see it, which was a big mistake! Now that I've replayed it a few times, I realize the difference from when I have gone to the doctor for my ear, but at the time, I didn't think twice about it. As the nurse was squirting the water in her ear, her eardrum ruptured. Needless to say, Victoria was screaming her head off. The worst part is, they told her it wouldn't hurt! Now, my eardrum has ruptured a few times, and let me tell you, it hurts!! So. she's not likely to believe what the doctor says anymore.

They gave her and Karissa popcicles and she now gets to take antibiotics and ear drops. They say to go back in ten days to make sure it has healed. This is what worries me. I've had a hole in my eardrum for 23 years! The only time there wasn't one was when it was surgically patched up, which didn't work, leading to the other two times my eardrum ruptured.

Here's the part where I kick myself. A few people have told me that the doctor should not clean out an infected ear because the eardrum is more likely to rupture from the pressure in that case. They should have just noticed that since the right ear was infected, and that wasn't the one that was bothering her, the left one probably was, given her some antibiotics, and had us come back in a week. That is what usually occured when I was younger, now that I remember.

Oh well! Hopefully she doesn't have an abnormal eardrum, like I do, and it heals on it's own!

1 comment: